Thursday, June 12, 2008

Automatic Sliding Door - Ver. 2

I was sitting somewhere outside the shopping mall entrance, enjoying the condemned pleasures of being a smoker. I took the view in front me as just another insipid backdrop for another performance: all the people passing, regardless if they were smiling, deadpan, contemplative, chatting or shouting; fat, pretty, ugly, cute, unique, abnormal, trendy, geeky, young or old, were all seen as tepid performers for a stupid script, written by someone who, since the beginning of time, remains too afraid to show him/herself.

The entrance's sliding door caught my attention instead. I counted how many times this automatic door had opened conveniently for those entering the building, and needlessly for those passing by the door, yet close enough for the sensor to detect.

I thought to myself, "Poor, poor door, how often you have mistaken those passing by as wanting to enter.

“As sensitive as an automatic sliding door, he often mistook those who were passing as wanting to enter.”

I was reminded of the unnecessary gesture of those who spread their arms wide open to embrace old friends they met in the airport or merely bumped into - unnecessary for certain friends, I mean.

No comments: