Thursday, June 12, 2008

… my reaction from 10 minutes of docudrama

This is just a reaction from the docudrama on Discovery Channel. It is about the impact if a huge comet were to hit earth; how the ecological system of our dear old mother earth would be screwed when shrouded from the sun; the catastrophic ecological chain reaction and so on. Although I caught only about ten minutes of the programme, I was, somehow, educated on the sun’s importance, how the earth species - which of course, included us - depended on it, and amazed by one particular species’ ability to imagine using scientific facts. Having often commented, and written my fair bit, against the sun I felt guilty for an hour or so.

The narrative script in the show caught my attention with its rhyming sentences. For example, the sentence which ends with the word ‘edible’ is followed by another that ends with ‘vegetable’, or the question if the earth can revived itself as a ‘time clock’ or remain as a ‘dead rock’. And perhaps this was what that had inspired the sentences inside my head when I am aware of how my guilt is obscene, driven, primarily, by one’s utilitarian concerns. I recognised that I need the sun to exist for, but not I do not “love the sun”, and I do not think I am suppose to feel any guilt towards things that I do not feel intensely for. Therefore, in order to not let myself sink further down into the “lower regions of the useful” (Kierkegaard) my refutation of the sun must remain.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful world
Isn’t this beauty?
…this end of your twirl

How many times have you reiterated?
The sun, the sun, and its importance to us

How many times have you repeated?

“Fuck Apollo! Fuck the tropical islands!
Fuck the tanned bodies!
The healthily tanned girls by the beach with sand on their hands and feet are
like brown muah chee salted by the sea.
(Fiffy, Muah Chee and the sand in that playground by Alan Bok).

“Fuck Mediterranean! Fuck California and the Caribbean islands!
Fuck Singapore and its eternal summer that has turned the
fashionable fools here to have an impure love for the rain -
all because of their love for this season’s autumn/winter collection.

Heat, solar energy, vitamin D, vegetation, water, the list goes on.
The million, billion reasons to love the sun
(Who loves the sun - Velvet Underground)
How impure to love it just because he can use it.
Here’s a classic case of how we tend to confuse love with needs.

“Fuck any sun inspired empire (J.G Ballard)”
His hatred of the sun turned him as pale as a vampire.

No comments: